I maintain active involvement in the Korean adoption, and wider adoption, communities. I am on the executive committee for the Alliance for the Study of Adoption & Culture. I am the Assistant Director/Secretary and Advisory Council member for the Korean American Adoptee Adoptive Family Network (KAAN). In this capacity, I spoke about National Adoption Awareness Month and the #flipthescript campaign on Fox News Detroit. I also wrote for the online adoptee-centric magazine, Gazillion Voices and joined The Lost Daughters as a contributor in 2015. The involvement with KAAN, Gazillion Voices, and The Lost Daughters reflects a deep commitment to share my research on adoption with members of the broader adoption community. Since the Fourth International Korean Adoption Studies Symposium in 2016, I serve on the symposium organizing committee. This is the only academic conference focused on Korean Adoption Studies in the world. These activities exemplify my dedication to making research concerning adoptees and adoptive families accessible to those who are living the adoption experience.
This section (in reverse chronological order) includes information regarding television appearances, interviews, and statements/press releases.
- On former Spokane, WA NAACP President Rachel Dolezal and the mis-use of the term transracial
- Lamont Hill, Marc. (2015, July 18) “Is It Possible To Be Born The Wrong Race?” HuffPost Live. [Online] Available at: http://live.huffingtonpost.com/r/segment/is-it-possible-to-be-born-the-wrong-race/557f28a82b8c2a588200065c.
- Chenevey, Steve. (2015, July 18) “‘Transracial’ debate after Rachael Dolezal identifies herself as black.” MyFOXDC.com. [Online] Available at: http://www.myfoxdc.com/clip/11610400/transracial-debate-after-rachael-dolezal-identifies-herself-as-black.
- Blow, Charles M. (2015, July 17) “The Delusions of Dolezal.” The New York Times [Online] Available at: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/18/opinion/charles-blow-the-delusions-of-dolezal.html.
- Winsor, Morgan. (2015, June 17) “Rachel Dolezal and the ‘Transracial’ Problem: Adoptees, Parents Speak Out on Comparison.” International Business Times [Online] Available at: http://www.ibtimes.com/rachel-dolezal-transracial-problem-adoptees-parents-speak-out-comparison-1971937#.
- Ford, Zack. (2015, June 17) “‘Transracial’ is a Thing, But it Has Nothing to Do with Rachel Dolezal or Caitlyn Jenner.” Think Progress [Online] Available at: http://thinkprogress.org/lgbt/2015/06/17/3670801/transracial-adoption-rachel-dolezal-caitlyn-jenner/.
- Moyer, Justin Wm. (2015, June 17) “Rachel Dolezal draws ire of transracial adoptees.” The Washington Post [Online] Available at: https://medium.com/@Andy_Marra/an-open-letter-why-co-opting-transracial-in-the-case-of-rachel-dolezal-is-problematic-249f79f6d83c.
- Marra, Andy. (2015, June 16) “An Open Letter: Why Co-Opting ‘Transracial’ in the Case of Rachel Dolezal is Problematic.” Medium [Online] Available at: https://medium.com/@Andy_Marra/an-open-letter-why-co-opting-transracial-in-the-case-of-rachel-dolezal-is-problematic-249f79f6d83c.
- #FlipTheScript Campaign and #DWY #4TheNextGen Series
- The An-Ya Project. (2015, May 19) “DWY #FlipTheScript: Kimberly McKee.” YouTube.com [Online] Available at: https://youtu.be/71o45EY1iAA.
- The An-Ya Project. (2015, March 16) “Introducing DWY #FlipTheScript #4TheNextGen: Video Series.” YouTube.com [Online] Available at: https://youtu.be/c2jwtbAafkc.
- MyFOXDetroit.com Staff. (2014, December 5) “#FliptheScript: Elevating the Voices of Adoptees.” MyFOXDetroit.com. [Online] Available at: http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/story/27555667/flipthescript-elevating-the-voices-of-adoptees.